The answer during the spring and summer season - local berries. Do It Up! Mulberries, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, wolfberries, boysenberries, currents, gooseberries, chokecherries, etc...There are so many awesome berries to choose from.
Why berries you ask?
- Berries are packed with Antioxidants which combat against free radicals.
- Berries are also great daily detoxifiers for the body & after the heavy foods during winter everyone can benefit from something light
- Berries are tasty & rich in color
- Berries are fun to eat
- Berries are sweet
- There are SO many varieties
Where to get 'em?
- Pick up seasonal berries at a local farmers market
- Grow your own berries or enjoy a berry picking day with family
- Buy frozen berries
- Berries are in season and they grow around here
- The soil & environment is perfect for growing berries outside
- Eating local foods means that the berries will be super fresh
What to do with them besides eating them fresh?
- Add them to mixed green salads
- Mix them in a smoothie
- Make berry sorbet
- Toss them in oatmeal
- Have them with a bit of keifer or greek yogurt
- Make a berry compote
- Make berry flavored lemonade
- Mix up some sprouted nuts with a bit of coconut milk & berries
- Dip berries in 80% dark chocolate
You get the idea. Load up on berries during this abundant berry season!