Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesdays are for Tomato soup!

Soups On! Tomato soup that is.





When I think back to a previous life as a server every Wednesday without fail it was tomato basil soup with grilled cheese. Nothing fancy, but I tell you we always sold out - didn't matter what the season. Well I had 4 tomatoes that needed to be used today and so I decided to try and make my own version of tomato soup without all the dairy.

Here is what I had available:

  • Chickpeas (1 can)
  • Tomatoes 4 diced up small (home grown!)
  • Garlic - x-large clove
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Chicken Stock (2 cups)
  • Various dried Herb mixed (Basil, Rosemary, Savory, Thyme, Oregano, Dill Weed, Marjoram, Sage, Tarragon)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Brown Sugar

Step 1 - 3 Tbsp. of Olive Oil and chopped garlic saute (on a low heat)

Step 2 - Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, chickpeas, pinch of salt & pepper, pinch of brown sugar or other high quality sweetener

Step 3 - Cook it for about 10 min. on medium-low heat (until it seems hot, you are the judge)

Step 4 - Take it off the heat and you can either leave the soup as chunky or let it cool a bit and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. If you want more soup add another can of chickpeas and then add a few more cups of chicken or veggie stock.

You might want to add more herbs, salt & pepper to jazz it up. It is totally up to you. Be free of constraints when you toss a meal together. If I had had some greens available I would have tossed those into the soup as well. Experiment!

Enjoy this with some lovely crackers, fancy crusty bread, or whatever else you have on hand. YUM

Let me know if you try it.

3 comments:

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Love making tomato soup! So easy, isn't it? Great with grilled cheese :-)

Lisa Miller said...

Mary, this soup looks amazing! My body's been cravings soups to get ready for the winter chill. Can't wait to use the tomatoes I get from my local farmer's market to make this!

MulberryMary said...

Michelle - I bet you have some lovely Tomato soup recipes hidden up your sleeve.

Lisa - Let me know how it goes and tell me if you jazzed it up!