Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Monday, March 29, 2010

Sleep it makes a HUGE difference

Last night, I woke up at about 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep. The minute I woke up I realized that I had been dreaming about work and processing some new ideas. Losing sleep isn't a usual occurrence in my life ever since I modified my diet and lifestyle. Of course, for many years starting at a very early age I did.

I think I started having trouble sleeping when I was 10 years old and it continued on until I was about 26. For me it was all over the board sometimes I had restless legs that were painful and kept me up. Other times, I would easily fall asleep, only to wake up a few hours later & my mind would be racing. I would try to get back to bed by laying there quietly, counting sheep, reading or just trying to breathe (sometimes just cursing & beating up my pillow). Usually nothing helped and I would eventually get up and read, clean, watch a show on the internet or get ready for my day at 3 am. Sometimes, I just couldn't fall asleep. Other times I would be so restless in my dreams (problem-solving work or life challenges) that once the alarm went off I felt like I had already worked an 8 hour day. YUCK. I can say from experience that having trouble sleeping is awful. I was cranky and irritable, but I had to pretend that everything was fine. Trust me I know how important sleep is and I know how tough it is to function on little to no ZZZ's. It sucks! So I wanted to share a few tools that might come in handy if you are having sleep issues.

Sleep makes a huge difference in your health, your weight, your mood, etc. I think we can all agree on that. Did you know that getting good quality sleep is even more important if you are trying to lose weight? If you are not getting the quality rest you need your body will turn to "energy" foods (candy, baked goods, caffeine) to help you make it through your day. I know that when I am not getting the rest I need then EVERYTHING suffers (my diet, my relationships, my work). How many of us push ourselves to work harder or do more and one of the things that gets pushed off for another day is good rest?

Many of my clients have had sleep issues. Whether it is staying asleep, getting to sleep or restless sleep. There are many challenges in the sleep department. Do any of these sleep challenges ring true for you?

I wanted to share this article on sleep with you because getting rest is extremely important to living a happy & healthy life. I also like the fact that this article showcases athletes who need to get quality sleep in order to have peak performance. I think we can all use quality rest because we want to be at our best everyday.

Remember each person is different, but I would recommend a few things - your bed should be a place for sleep & sex (no eating, watching TV, or other activities). I know you have heard this before, but make sure to get the TV out of the bedroom. Invest in dark blinds to block out light or wear an eye mask - once the body realizes there is light it naturally wants to wake up. If you are sensitive to sounds - buy ear plugs. Turn off your cell phone so that you don't get texts, emails, or calls at all hours of the night. Last - create a sleep routine!

I would also like to share are 2 tools I use to help my clients get the rest they need. When we start the healing process sometimes they still need a little help. So instead of turning to a prescription medication (if they are open to a holistic alternative of course). I suggest: the RutaVaLa roll-on or the essential oil from Young Living. Another option is the SleepEssence which contains the same lovely therapeutic grade essential oils, but also has a bit of melatonin in it to help you get the sleep you need.

RutaVaLa uses 3 powerful essential oils Vue - increases drowsiness, Valerian - enhances sleepiness, Lavender - aid in relaxation. One thing to note - that this combo doesn't always smell good to all people. I like it, but the first time I took a whiff I didn't care for the smell. Now I love using it. I have had the same bottle for months (like 7 & it is still going) - I just roll a little on my temples and I am good to go.

The SleepEssence pill - enables you to take in these 3 essential oils as well as a bit of melatonin (I love good quality melatonin) without the smell. I save this pill for times when I am really stressed out or when I am not going to be able to get the rest I need for the week because of work related demands. I have found that this pill really knocks me out! Note - the few times I have taken this pill I did wake up feeling a bit groggy.

As I said several of my clients that I have introduced these tools too have found them to be tremendously helpful while they are in transition to an upgraded diet & lifestyle.

I love these products and I used them when I am traveling. They help me sleep even though I am on another timezone.

If you are interested in more details about these products let me know and I would be happy to talk to you about them. As with any new program/supplement/drug you want to talk to your doctor!

To check out these Young Living products & other fabulous items go to https://www.youngliving.org/mulberrymary click on Product Line in the menu and then type in Rutavala or SleepEssence.

What are your sleep related recommendations? Please share them - leave a comment below. Thanks.

Sweet Dreams!


No comments: