Last weekend I was asked to make a Vegan Soup for an event down the street at my neighbor's house. I decided to make a lentil soup with coconut milk and scallions. You might have missed it, but that's it. Those were the 3 ingredients. Super simple.
I made a HUGE pot of this soup by doubling/nearly tripling the recipe. I'm going to give you the basics and then tell you what I added, but let me tell you it is all about taste. One of the biggest tricks to good soup is seasoning. Seasoning is best done after you cook the soup. Then you can add whatever bits are necessary.
I do not have a picture of the end result as I was having "one of those days" where I wasn't sure if the soup was really all that great. However, that HUGE pot of soup was empty early in the evening (even though there was LOTS of other things to eat). It was a hit. That made my heart smile a bit!
Anyway here is the recipe and a picture of the soup before it was finished.
- 1 3/4 - 2 cups of Red lentils
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup of Coconut Milk
- 2 - Bunches of Scallions (chop them up and reserve the very green pieces for garnish and the light colors for the soup)
- 5.5 cups of purified water
My Optional Items:
- Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves sliced or more if you love the stinking rose
- 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt - to taste
- Ground Pepper - to taste
- Rinse lentils well with cool water (look for small stones)
- Saute sliced garlic and scallions in extra-virgin Olive Oil on low for 5 minutes
- Add lentils and 5.5 cups of water in a pot
- Bring the pot to a boil
- Lower heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes - stirring occasionally to keep the lentils from sticking
- Once the lentils are very soft turn off the soup and let the steam release
- Then using a Vita-Mix blender (a super star blender) start adding the soup in batches for blending.
- Depending on your preference you can leave the soup somewhat chunky
- Add coconut milk to the soup
- If the soup is super quick add some water
- Season the soup - add more salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, etc
- Ladle into bowl and drizzle the reserved coconut milk over the top and sprinkle with the green onions
SERVINGS - Approx 6. or try double or tripling this recipe for a big party.
If you are interested in the Vita-Mix then use this Coupon Code for free shipping (US and Canada) =06-00503