Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Squash with a twist of...

Tahini!

I made a squash dish last night that I decided to share. It isn't fancy & only requires a few ingredients - which is the BEST!

Delicata Tahini Squash from Integrative Nutrition:

This takes 5 min to prepare and then 30 minutes to bake.

The reason why I choose to make this recipe was because you can eat the whole squash (meaning the skin & seeds too).

Ingredients:

  • 2 delicata squashes (about 7 inches long)
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 1 tablespoon tamari - I used 2 tbsps
  • Pinch of cayenne (optional) - I used some hot pepper flakes I got from an Asian Market
  • 1 tablespoon water - I didn't use this - I added a bit more tamari
  • Black pepper
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Slice squash in circular discs about 1/8 inch thick, leaving seeds.
  3. In a small bowl mix tahini, tamari, cayenne and water, adding a bit of water to get a creamy consistency.


In a large bowl, mix squash slices in sauce until each piece is coated.

Place on a non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle with pepper and place in the oven for 15 minutes.


Flip pieces and bake another 15 minutes, or until the squash is soft and tender.





I thought this was really tasty. It wasn't too sweet. Squash is already sweet so the tahini gave it a little pop without the typical sweetness of honey or brown sugar people like to add to root veggies.

I think next time I will try peanut or cashew or almond butter to see how that mixes things up...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny! I got one of those squashes last night and had no idea what to do with it! Perfect timing!

Amy

MulberryMary said...

Amy -

Let me know what you think if you try it. I liked this recipe however my husband said he didn't care for eating the entire squash. He thought it was a bit too weird. So good luck and let me know what you think.