- The night before:
- Soak a 1/4 cup of the grains in a bit of water in the pot you plan on cooking them in. This process makes your grains easier to digest (happy tummy). Note that these grains are too tiny to strain the water from.
- If you like flaxseeds you can take 1/4 cup or more and place in a small bowl and cover with water. This process will break down the flax for easier digestion the next day. Do not be alarmed the flax becomes gelatinous - it is pretty cool. However, you can just as easily grind your flax the morning of in a coffee grinder which is quick and easy, but requires a bit of clean up. Or go flax-less and don't add this ingredient.
- The morning of:
- Turn the heat up to high on the brown rice grains, toss in a pinch of sea salt
- Bring the cereal to boil
- Turn down the heat and add some almond milk (I put in about a 1/2 cup), rice milk, coconut milk - whatever is available (1/2 - 1 cup depending on how thick/thin you like your cereal - experiment with the consistency)
- Add a tsp of coconut oil (dairy-free) or high quality butter
- Continue to cook - stirring frequently
- Should be ready in 5 - 10 minutes
- Pour into a bowl and add lovely fixings like - Maple Syrup (try a little bit and add if necessary), Walnuts, Flaxseeds, Berries, Cinnamon, Ginger...
- I choose to add walnuts and flaxseeds today for a boost of omega-3's
*I buy flax seeds in the bulk section at the store and store them in the fridge.
What's your favorite hot breakfast?