Upgrade your life!

Search This Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Are you on a restricted DIET (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo, GAPS, etc). Check out RESOURCE:

Monday, October 26, 2009

Good Karma & Homelessness


Sometimes, I feel really overwhelmed when I think about donating. I feel like I have to give money to an organization never a real person.  Of course, then when I encounter someone on the side of the road I am never sure how to act. It hurts my heart and I struggle with decisions: Should I ignore them, pray for a green light so that I do not have to stop, smile at them and give them whatever money I can?


Do you ever feel at a loss when you are driving or walking by someone who is homeless. You want to help, but feel like you are not sure how? Maybe you do not feel comfortable giving them cash because you aren't sure they will use it to feel themselves? Or you ignore the homeless because you are not sure what to do? 


Today I wanted to share with you some ideas that my husband's cousin, Christi gave me. Christi has graciously given these tips so that we can make an impact and really help in the short-term.

  • Who doesn't love a new pair of socks? I know I do! Imagine having to wear your socks for more than one day? Not a pleasant thought right? Try imagining wearing the same socks for 2 weeks? The BEST item to give is clean socks
  • Keep a bag in your car that has socks, gloves, hats, blankets, granola bars to hand out
  • When you are shopping pick up whatever is on sale (gloves, socks, blankets, granola bars)
  • You don't have to buy new. Go through your closets, ask your friends for gently used items.  Remember if you won't wear it because it has holes or stains DON'T give to homeless people.  Everyone likes to feel good about themselves, even homeless people.  
  • Just roll down your window and ask them if they would like, socks or hats etc.  
  • You don't have to give money to make a homeless person happy.  
  • No one likes to be looked through...look at the homeless in their eyes, say hi, ask how they are doing.  They are people too!
Where ever you live these tips can be helpful. Do you have any other helpful tips or other ideas to keep good karma going? Leave a comment!

4 comments:

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

It's hard living in a city where you pass multiple homeless/begging people every day. I could give out socks all day long. Instead, we give what we can, and when we can't we at least share a smile with those on the street.

MulberryMary said...

I think sharing a smile is great! I know when someone takes the time to smile I feel a lot better with where I am going and where I am headed. Thanks Michelle.

Christa said...

I think the socks/hat/bars/etc are great ideas for giving to the homeless! I'm going to begin doing this. Thanks, Mary.

MulberryMary said...

Christa - Me too!